- To empower illiterate and malnourished children through relevant education, mejora de la nutrición, y los principios básicos de estancia saludable; y
- Para reducir la pobreza y promover la sensibilidad cultural, sustainable development within impoverished rural communities that have little or no choice to alleviate their own plight; y
- To harness human and natural resources for mutual benefit by the reforestation of land devastated by the massive eruption of Mt. Grande en 1963, que despojado miles de hectáreas. To improve the living ecosystmens, provide a sustainable food forest for the thousands of villagers, proporcionar medios de vida sostenibles para el presente y el futuro, and ensure rain water is captured and conserved for the benefit of the land, naturaleza, ecosistemas, y la mayor parte de todas las personas.
Community Motivation and ParticipationWe work with the community to identify their problems and develop attainable goals in accordance with their aspirations. They participate fully in implementing sustainable programmes which empower them towards self-reliance.
Personal de Campo
All our field staff joined us first as volunteers and were only taken on as staff members after they had proved their commitment to helping in the sustainable development.
Ahora tenemos 47 personal de campo a tiempo completo, todos los balineses. Forty one of these are from the village, otros seis de la aldea adyacente. They are already familiar with the difficult mountain terrain and their strong ties to the community help them introduce new concepts to their families and neighbours.
Many have been sent on training programmes to improve their own abilities and also so they can then transfer their new knowledge to the community of Desa Ban. Training courses have focussed on various aspects of organic farming, la salud y la nutrición, appropriate building technology, accounting procedures and teacher training as well as English language training.
Nuestros objetivos reflejan nuestra filosofía: Sostenible, long-term change begins with education, educación comienza con los niños, and children must be healthy to learn. Son a:
- provide integrated and relevant education for children as a foundation for future empowerment;
- improve nutrition through a nutritious school meal and education for future growth;
- garantizar una mejor salud a través de la educación sanitaria, improved nutrition and hygiene;
- eliminate iodine deficiency among children and reproductive-age women;
- improve farmland organically for long term food security and eventual self-reliance